Sunday, November 25, 2007

REMINISCENCE


Recently someone sent me the above old photo taken in 1994. She is Desiree and she is in this photo (seated extreme right). The photo was taken at a Pasir Ris Christmas Celebration at the void deck of Block 534, organized by Pasir Ris Family Service Centre, my first working place. I still remember every single child in this photo. I was known to them as Uncle Sian Kiong (nobody calls me by that now). I had just graduated and started on my first job as a social worker. In 1994 I was only 25 years old - youthful and innocent days – the world was a world of imagined possibilities, haven’t quite fully being initiated into the passages of life realities.

Today every one of them would have grown up into young men and fair ladies. I wonder how are these children whom I used to interact with in close proximity in the yester-years. But at least I have recently learnt that Desiree is already in her final year in NTU, graduating in no time and waiting to plunge into the real working world, just as I did in 1994. The world now belongs to this new generation – youthful as they are, with gusto and bite in face of a new world order.

I was on msn with Gary today (after not doing so for a long time). Gary is another child whom I had known from Pasir Ris Family Service Centre since he was Primary 1 (I think). Now he is 18 years and heading to NS in a few days’ time. He has gone into big-time sales in the past one year, traveling to different countries already, sometimes all by himself, he told me. Wow! I just couldn’t have imagined Gary doing that while he was still in Primary 1.

These youthful oomph’s were the innocent faces of yesteryears – welcome to a brand new world! I wish you well as you embark on a new adventure of your life-time. New challenges await you; new possibilities greet you at every turn; but along with it, new growing pains (that is not just limited to teenage years, mind you) will continue to confront you but only with the intent of maturing our character, if only we do not become bitter and hardened through the process. Take care to retain your childlike innocence because innocence can be a virtue and not to be confused with childish gullibility.

Growing wiser does not mean losing your innocence.

Thanks so much, Desiree for sending the photo and the email!

Still growing up,
Eli-yah

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home