Friday, March 10, 2006

Highlight of the week

Highlight of the Week!

10th March, Friday at 4:30pm – The work week officially ended and I was really looking forward to another weekend off work. Stayed behind for a little to check emails on my laptop… and as usual I had to go through the following 12-step motions:

A. Shut down my laptop at my work desk
B. Unplug my laptop
C. Walk a couple meters to another place in our office where there is internet connection
D. Make sure no one is checking email at the same time
E. Plug in my laptop and connect to the internet cable
F. Switch on my laptop and wait for it to load (which takes a while for an old, retarded and seriously “virus-ed” system)
G. Check for internet connection
H. Download emails
I. When done, disconnect everything and shut down my system
J. Walk back the couple of meters back to my office desk
K. Set-up my laptop again and wait for it to load (remember: “virus-ed” system)
L. Resume work (well, if I am not going home yet of course)

So what’s new? Well, as usual on this fateful 10th March, as I was about to check my emails, Jordan REAGAN surprised us.

You see, we had a US lady visiting us this week – her name is Jordan REAGAN. For those who do not yet know, our office is painted all white and has been affectionately called the “WHITE HOUSE”. So imagine REAGAN visiting the WHITE HOUSE in Cambodia ☺. But that is not the point.

The surprise is: Jordan was in another part of our office and she was happily on the internet, on wireless connection !!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? Wireless connection? We never did know we ever had wireless connection in our office.

The only key to the mystery is that back in July 05 (that is a good 7 months ago), we had a Singaporean IT volunteer who helped us set up our network system linking a few desktops computers together with shared internet connection. But we never ever knew that our laptops can be connected wirelessly and effortlessly.

So for the first time, I happily checked my emails on wireless connection in my office.

For over 7 months, imagine Grace and I having to go through the daily motions of steps A-L above. But I did not feel so stupid as I felt elated at the reality of working at the comfort of my office desk with the efficiency of 24-hour wireless connection. Ok, ok! It is not broadband speed but I am still happily thankful.

Thank you Reagan for visiting our White House! You are God-sent!

Elated & thankful,
Eli-yah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home